Cutting Down The Tree!
So I am up here in Oregon celebrating Mimi's birthday... and since it is December we got to have the experience of selecting and cutting down our own fresh Christmas tree to take home and decorate... It is such a fun experience similar to walking through a pumpkin patch and picking out your own pumpkin! It is ridiculiously inexpensive in comparsion to buying a 'fresh' Christmas tree in Utah... For a 8'-9' tree you will pay $35 where as in Utah it would run you close to $100! No wonder no one here in Oregon uses artifical trees! Not to mention there are at least 10-15 tree farms within a 10 mile radius!As we wandered through a field of trees we tried to find the most "perfect" tree possible... You have the choice to choose between douglas fir, noble fir, and a grand fir. This year Mimi and Papa decided they wanted a noble fir so we headed to that part of the farm and looked and looked until we found the best one in the field then you cut it down yourself! Then you drag it back to the trailer to have the tree shook and bound. It is the coolest thing! They put the stump of the tree in this machine and it shakes the bajeezes out of this tree to shake out all of the loose and dry pine needles and bugs that might be living in the tree... then they take it over to the binding machine and it winds twine around the tree so that you can easily transport your tree home! Careful not to get to close! That machine was designed to mame! Yikes!
All done! This Christmas tree will last until June! The smell is so yummy and fresh! Delicious!

4 comments:
That is pretty cool. That is the way we do it in Wyoming too except you go to the mountains and pick a tree. They are certain boundaries, but for the most part the mountain is all yours. Awesome! That is great you got to be with your parents for the festivities.
That is awesome, I would totally go there for my tree. However, I would spend hundreds getting there and wouldn't have anyone to see, so I'll stick to my artificial. Did you bring it home home to Utah with you?
Awww, I love the smell of pine in the house. I am so jealous, we have to stick to the good ol' pine candle.
How fun! I LOVE the smell of fresh trees, although we always put up a fake one (and then add smell with a candle)...
Post a Comment